Good exercises for runners: get stronger and faster
Is running the only exercise you do? Or do you worry that you’re not working your body in a way that best supports your running? We could all benefit from doing some cross-training for our overall fitness and protect ourselves from injury, but can be difficult to know where to start. Plus, who would want to cut into their running time by doing other training?!
Good news! I have a wonderful free training program you can fit into any running schedule.
What is it?
The 30 Day Challenge from Kinetic Revolution.
Who are they?
Kinetic Revolution is a team of coaching consultants based in the United Kingdom (don’t worry, you can use their system anywhere. I’m following it from New Zealand). They specifically target runners and triathletes, with the goal of improving athletic performance and improving injury recovery.
It was founded by James Dunne, who is an injury rehab specialist and top running coach. He’s the guy you’ll see in the videos that are part of the course.
What will I be doing?
The program gives you 10-15 minutes of cross-training exercises to complete over a course of 30 days. The activities are designed to fit into whatever your running schedule is: whether you’re just getting started or you’re training for your tenth marathon, everyone can gain benefit.
The program is split into five stages:
- Mobility and balance
- Strength and core
- Intermediate mobility and plyometrics
- Resistance band training
- Running technique drills
I’ll let James explain a bit more to you in this very short video:
Since he’s asked you to “click the link below”, here’s one
How does it work?
First of all, you have to sign up via email. You’ll get a reply straight back, asking you to confirm. Once you confirm, you will receive full access to the 30 day training. Each day has different videos and exercises attached to it. It’s all very easy to follow.
You’ll also receive daily emails from James to keep you on track.
The best things about the program?
- It’s free, which is awesome
- There is a big community of followers, you can join their facebook group which has more than 4,000 members
- Easy to follow and easy to fit into any routine
- You don’t need any extra equipment (except for a resistance band, you can purchase the one James recommends for around $3.99 US over on Amazon)
- Daily emails to keep you on track
- Access to the full 30 days straight away
- You’ll improve your running!
Just one or two:
- You can’t tick off the days as you go, so if you lose track you’ll have to check your email (I think that’s pretty minor though)
- Obviously, as you will be following a video, there’s no one to tell you if you’re doing things incorrectly. You can always ask questions in the facebook group, or comment on any of the videos if you need help.
Get into it!
You’ve got nothing to lose and everything to gain by doing some cross training to complement your running. Sign up for the 30 Day Challenge now, and start improving your running today.
Your running buddy,
image by Simon Thalmann, CC 2.0, https://flic.kr/p/cifE9W